Thursday, November 20, 2008

Same DCE like pain

So the flight took-off without me. I was now more aware what had happened to me. Papa called almost every minute to comfort me but it hardly helped. He told me to talk to them in a tough tone and tell them to put me on the next flight to Philadelphia. So I went to this guy well-built and bald guy. He was observing what had happened to me. I told him that I want to see that lady in-charge. But he told me that I should get a note from Air-India saying that it was there fault that actually made me loose m flight. So I headed back to terminal 3.

Meanwhile Papa called up and told me that he talking to the agent and was trying to get me on some flight to US. He told me that I should relax and have some food. I heard Sonu for the first since I left for US. He told me to just enjoy being at London. Who gets to be at the airport for as much time as one wants. And who wants to be stuck at ant airport with unknown probability of getting a flight. But anyways his words were very soothing at the moment. I thought yeah this the chance to see something foreign.   

On the bus for terminal 3. I reached the Air India counter looking for some cooperation. The Air India flight to New York was to leave around 3 p.m.. I was hoping if could get on that flight. I told my situation to the person across the counter and told him that due to the late touch down of the plane I missed my connecting flight . He then called his chief but the chief was not ready to acknowledge that the plane touch down at the terminal 15 minutes late. That's the height of everything. You don't admit your fault in first place. I lost my head and barked at the guy at the counter. This guy is a well built Desi-British. And he barked back at me. And I said sorry. Sometimes I feel its not bad to have a gym toned muscled body. Had I got that may be I could not have been stuck at London.

I was waiting at the counter standing his head, though I knew it was useless. I was hoping if I could just get on the NY plane somehow. First time in a wild new world can very scary. No Papa to fall back on. No Ma to give you those comfort pills. And of course on family that looks after you all the time.

This guy has some familiar marks on his hands. I asked him if he is from India. He replied in a rough tone that he is from Punjab and that his family came here and settled. When you are out of India for the first time it seems every Indian will be friendly to you. But its not that way at all. He looked at me with prejudice and burden. I guess he has that same Indian government employee blood.

I kept waiting for the response of his chief. This guy meanwhile is checking out on the this girl who is sitting on the counter next to him. He asking her things and at times ogling at her. The girl is surely very beautiful. With a pair of glasses she looked even more cute. I cursed this bald Sardarji. May you never get hook up with her.

Finally the call came. The Sardar told that if since this is a US Airways ticket I should get an endorsement from them and then they could put me on the next flight. Now that's more like my university's system.  I again hopped on the bus and headed to terminal 1. Again the security check. Again the long walk to the gate. The US Airways chief was gone by now. Their staff now appeared in a different dress. I went to same guy who told me to get the note from Air India. He told me that the staff was gone and there was no way I could get anything done now. Slowly but surely my hope was dying. He told me to see him tomorrow and told his name. I could not get it. So he wrote it on a page. And guess what. There is at least one person in the world whose writes more illegibly than me. But I found many more of them here. My advisor is one of them.

This wasn't the end. I kept shuttling between the two terminals for about 4-5 times. Every time you had to climb on those elevators, then security checks and long walks. I guess that just summarizes the bad planning of agent.

More next time

No comments: